Thursday, January 28, 2010

Acting out



Welcome back!

Hello old friends.  If there were an award for most overdue blog post, I think that I might be in the running.  That work thing has gotten in the way a bit lately, but I won't fall back on excuses.  

So, now that that is over...

I have never had much faith in the actor turned musical artist or vice versa, but recently I have been swayed to think otherwise.  There are 2 notable actors turned musicians that I have been listening to a good bit of lately.

Jason Schwartzman, famous for his recurring appearances in films by indie auteurs such as Wes Anderson and David O. Russell, has been making music for quite sometime.  His recent solo project, Coconut Records, is his most appealing by far.

Also, Ryan Gosling and his bandmate Zach Shields are making some spooky pop music in their outfit Dead Man's Bones.  They are backed by a child choir on their debut which aids the band in creating an afterworldly experience.

Both actors are making music that is original and enjoyable.  Each project was released a while back, but each is relevant and worth a listen.  You can sample the tracks below, but if you like what you hear please go out and buy the albums.



1 comment:

  1. Hey, recently stumbled upon your blog through a friend of a friend @ Auburn. I went to Bama.

    Jason married my college roommate's cousin. She's from Fairhope, Alabama and I got to meet him when he came to town. He's a real nice guy with a genuine love for his craft. On his last CD, the first couple hundred people that ordered got a random polaroid photo he took himself inside the CD case. Each CD had a different photo. It was pretty cool. I like 'West Coast' and, more recent, 'Wire'--which was used in the credits of the movie 'Funny People'.

    ReplyDelete