Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Ben's Best Albums of 2009: Number 1


1. Elvis Perkins In Dearland, Elvis Perkins In Dearland



This is it.  My album of the year, Elvis Perkins In Dearland’s self-titled LP, really displayed staying power to get the top spot.  Initially, I heard “Shampoo” on a promo release prior to the album and thought, “This is a great song.”  Then I didn’t think too much of it until I began hearing a random song here and there.  Finally, I got the album and thought, “This is a great album.”  Then it started in my playlist rotation and has remained there to this day.  Whenever I was looking for an album for a drive, a hike, the commute to work or chores around the house, Elvis Perkins In Dearland was there.  And now it sits atop the throne as my best album of 2009.

Perkins decided to head in a new direction after his incredibly personal and outstanding debut, Ash Wednesday, and this new direction is a very welcome one.  His songs are upbeat for the most part, but his lyrics remain sharp and bleak.  Elvis Perkins In Dearland is a musical tour de force heavily influenced by American roots music from early folk to the New Orleans horns tradition.  The album navigates from track to track without losing a beat or the listener’s interest.  Honestly, there is not a bad song on this entire LP and too many standouts to name.  I nailed it on the head with my initial thought because this IS a great album.

Elvis Perkins In Dearland - Doomsday

No comments:

Post a Comment