Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Scott's Top 10 Albums of 2009: Number 3


3. The Avett Brothers - I and Love and You


I'll be honest -some irrational part of me did not want to like this album. Whenever a favorite artist of mine ventures into new, unfamiliar territory, I greet the change with a healthy dose of skepticism. My concerns with The Avett Brothers major label debut were short lived. Lyrically the Avett's most mature album, I and Love and You expands on their unique brand of punk/bluegrass to create a truly special album. Rick Rubin's production did nothing but enhance the sound of the boys from North Carolina - adding layers of sound to their already unique songs without adding too much polish. What results is an emotionally charged album of beautiful ballads, foot stomping ditties, and earnest hymns of redemption, longing, and hope.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment