Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Ben's Best Albums of 2009: Number 8


8. Cass McCombs, Catacombs



Catacombs is an album that I tried so hard to ignore - the reason mainly being that I grew tired of Pitchfork's continual praise of this LP before I had even given it a shot.  I finally decided to get this album in early November (long after it had been released) and, as you can deduce from its presence on this list, I was very happy that I did.  The tracks are quite laid back and the lyrics tweeter between great and absurd, which might just make them brilliant.  “You Saved My Life” is the best track by far and one of the best of the year.  Upon first listen, I was ready to discard the track, but something drew me in and keeps bringing me back.  The previous statement rings true for the entire album.  The cards were stacked against it, but something about McCombs's understated style on this album drew me in.  Other standouts are “Jonesy Boy” in which McCombs sounds similar to My Morning Jacket’s Jim James, “Executioner’s Song” and “Harmonia.”  If you have any reservations in giving this album a listen (as I did), do yourself a favor by buying the album and giving it a full listen. It just makes sense that way.


No comments:

Post a Comment