Friday, December 18, 2009

Ben's Best Albums of 2009: Number 6


6. Deer Tick, Born on Flag Day



This Providence, Rhode Island rock band's sophomore album extends their unique mix of rock and early country sounds that they started with their debut, War ElephantBorn on Flag Day seems to be more focused and thoughtful than their first album.  John Joseph McCauley, III’s scratchy vocals take us on this journey and what a great ride it is.  The band jumps from acoustic guitars to louder electric ones, but the music maintains its charm and never gets really noisy.  I was going to name the standouts of the album, but then I started listening to the songs again and realized they are all great (this realization bumped it up a spot in the list, too).  The band recently released a new EP entitled More Fuel for the Fire, available for purchase on iTunes, that proves there are more great things to come.


2 comments:

  1. What about Phish's "Joy"? Have you lost all headiness brah?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Slates - there are still 5 spots to go. You never know what is in store, my phriend. Yep, that did it for me - I have now officially abandoned my headiness. It just didn't feel right. Colorado doesn't need anymore, believe me.

    Thanks for checking out the list!

    ReplyDelete